Here are a few general principles to keep in mind as you read through this Policy:
- We may share your Personal Information (as defined herein) with third parties for third party marketing purposes. You can elect for us not to do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about your opt-out rights, see the “Opt In and Opt Out” Section below.
- This Policy does not apply to information that you may provide to us, or that we may obtain, other than through our Websites, such as over the phone, by mail, or in person, except that your rights to opt-out of our use and sharing of your Personal Information with third parties for their own marketing purposes applies also to the Personal Information that we collect offline.
- If you are located outside of the United States, you should know that the information you provide to us is being transmitted to us and processed in the United States and will be protected subject to this Policy and United States laws, which may not be as protective as the laws in your country. Also, this Website places cookies and local shared objects on your computer or device as described in this Policy. By using this Website, you agree to this.
Third Party Websites
Juilliard works with a variety of third party businesses to collect and manage information provided from, and provide services to prospective students, applicants, current students, alumni, purchasers and consumers of our digital products, employers and other site users. As part of these services, certain companies operate websites or online features on behalf of Juilliard and may display Juilliard’s name, logo or other information on their sites. These sites are not owned or controlled by Juilliard, and this Policy does not govern these sites. These organizations have their own privacy policies which explain how they will use, protect and share your information, and we encourage you to read them. We have included links to some of these third party privacy policies below.
- Online Application: The privacy statement for the third party we use to collect certain online application information can be found here.
- Student Career Services: The privacy statement for the Student Career Services Network, which is hosted by Symplicity, can be found here.
What information is collected on this Website?
Information You Provide to Us
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you. We may collect Personal Information such as your name, date of birth, postal addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, photograph, gender, donation information, credit card and other payment information, purchase, site browsing and transaction history, social security number, year you plan to begin study, current grade, other demographic information, interests and any other information you provide to us online. For example, we collect Personal Information when you conduct a transaction on this Website, fill out an application via this Website or our partner’s site, register for information about our digital products, create an alumni, student, or other account on this Website, sign up for our newsletters, make a donation, make online purchases of products or tickets to events, complete any quizzes or surveys, or submit a comment or question to us by email or by the “contact admissions” feature, or similar feature on this Website. We may also collect additional Personal Information contributed by you, if we provide you with the capability to upload a photo or contribute to a blog, wiki or other social forum on this Website.
Information Gathered Automatically
When you visit a Website, some information is automatically collected by us. For example, our servers automatically collect your IP address when you visit this Website, and we may associate that with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider. If you access a Website that is a mobile application or a web-based Website via a mobile application, we receive data from or about the mobile phone or devices that you use to install and/or access the Website. We may also capture certain “clickstream data” pertaining to your site usage (such information referred to as “Website Usage Information”). Clickstream data includes, for example, information about your computer or mobile device, web browser and operating system and their settings, the referring page that linked you to the Website, the pages, content or ads, to the extent ads have been included on the Website, that you see or click on during your visit and when and for how long you do so, items you download, the next website you visit when you leave the Website, and any search terms you have entered on the Website or a referral site.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies on the Websites to collect additional information about your Website visits. For example:
- Local Shared Object: Local shared objects, such as “Flash cookies,” may be stored on your computer or device using a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For example, for information on managing Flash cookies click here.
- HTML5: HTML5 (the language some websites are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Website usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how this Website is being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
- Cache cookies: Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited our Website or another website in the past.
- Clear Gifs: A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed on a web page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our web pages.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and relate your Website Usage Information to other information about you, including your Personal Information.
By using this Website, you consent to our use of these tracking technologies as described above.
Information Obtained from Third Parties
We may supplement the information obtained from you with information that is obtained from third parties. The type of information that is shared with us could include, for example, contact information (like name and email address) and user demographic information (like zip code, age or income level), as well as other types of Personal Information and non-personally identifiable information. We will use such supplemental information received or obtained from third parties in accordance with this Policy.
Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, we currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail directly above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser. We do not require third party service providers to honor DNT settings in any particular way. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we may reassess how to respond to these signals.
How is your information used?
We and our service providers may use the information we collect from and about you to perform a variety of functions, including the following:
- enabling users to use this Website and its features
- processing and fulfilling your transactions online on the Juilliard “Make a Gift” page, the Performance Calendar page, in the Juilliard Store, and otherwise
- enabling prospective candidates to apply to Juilliard programs
- developing new offerings, including mobile apps and other interactive products
- administering our Websites and your student, alumni, or other account with us
- responding to your requests, questions, and concerns
- market research
- informing users about the availability of new features and offerings
- facilitating the provision of software updates and product support for applications and programs
- informing users of the availability of content supplements for existing applications
- sending you marketing and other communications, including information about our and others particular programs, services, events, and products that we think might be of interest to you
- protecting our rights and property
- to prevent fraud
- displaying ads to you on our Website or other websites pertaining to your interests and history with us
- to administer contests and sweepstakes conducted by us or on our behalf
- customizing our Website to your interests and history with us
- other purposes disclosed when Personal Information is submitted to us
We may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including both Personal Information and Website Usage Information, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) as described above. We or our service providers may also use your information to assess the level of interest in, and use of, our digital products, Websites, our emails and our other messaging campaigns both on an individual basis and in the aggregate.
Opt In and Opt Out
You may have the right to “opt in” and/or “opt out” of certain of our uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. For example, you may opt out of promotional emails from certain areas of our Websites by either clicking on an opt out or “unsubscribe” link, to the extent one is provided in the promotional email, or by responding to the email address given within the promotional email.
If you want us not to share (or stop sharing) your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing use, please send us an email at: email@example.com indicating that you are asking us to stop sharing your information with third parties. Please note that we will not be responsible for any communications that you may receive from entities that received your Personal Information prior to the date of your request. In these cases, please contact that entity directly.
We may send text messages to you, including text messages relating to audition information for applicants and as part of Juilliard’s Community Alert System during an emergency. Please see the “Text Messaging” Section below for information on how to opt out of text messaging.
Our Websites that are mobile applications may have features to “push” messages to you. You can opt out of receiving those messages through functionality offered based on your mobile device.
We may choose to display advertisements on this Website and elsewhere, and such advertisements may be customized to your interests and preferences based on your Personally Information and Website Usage Information collected through our Websites unless you opt out by following the instructions that can be found at the Network Advertising Initiative's (“NAI”) Ad Network opt-out page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ or the Digital Advertising Alliance's opt-out page at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. You have to opt-out using each of your web browsing applications separately. However, if you opt-out we may still suggest offerings to you on this Website based on your history at this Website.
We use Google Analytics to generate analytics reports on the usage of this Website. To opt-out of your Website Usage Information being included in our Google analytics reports, you may follow these instructions. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit the Google Analytics Privacy Overview.
Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt out request and that even if you opt out of receiving certain correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with us.
By submitting your mobile phone number, you consent for Juilliard to send text messages (“Text Messaging”) about Juilliard to the mobile device associated with that number using an automatic system, including, but not limited to, messages to applicants to regarding audition scheduling and messages during an emergency as part of Juilliard’s Community Alert System. Message and data rates may apply. You may not consent on behalf of someone else or provide someone else’s phone number. We will use any information we collect in connection with our Text Messaging in accordance with this Policy.
You will have the ability to opt out of receiving text messages by following the instructions in the text message you receive or, in the case of emergency messaging, by logging into your account at https://wa.juilliard.edu.
Your Access Rights
You may review, update or modify some of the Personal Information that is stored in your student, alumni, or other account on the Website (if applicable) by logging into your account at https://wa.juilliard.edu. We may ask you to verify your identity and provide other details before we are able to provide you with any information, correct any inaccuracies, or delete any information. Your right to delete your information is subject to our records retention policies.
While we endeavor to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Information collected via our Websites, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers. If you correspond with us by email, text message, or even through web forms like a “contact admissions” feature on this Website, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure. A third party could view the information you send in transit by such means. We will have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
If you create a student, alumni or other account on this Website, you are responsible for maintaining the strict confidentiality of your account password, and you shall be responsible for any activity that occurs using your account credentials, whether or not you authorized such activity. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your email address, we may notify you by email. You consent to our use of email as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use the U.S. Postal Service to notify you in this situation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While Juilliard offers programs for children at certain times of the year, and provides information about those programs on this Website, this Website is intended solely for users who are thirteen (13) years of age or older. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from Users under thirteen (13) without prior verified parental consent. If you are under the age of thirteen (13), please do not provide Personal Information of any kind whatsoever.
Changes to this Policy
We reserve the right to change this Policy from time to time, and such changes will be effective with respect to this Website immediately upon posting on this Website. We will notify you of material changes to this Policy by other means, including, for example, by posting the revised Policy with the date it was revised on this page or by email. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to stay informed about how we are protecting the information we collect.